1kg grass fed beef whole scotch fillet, diced into 2cm cube
1 large brown onion
1 small red chill
1 tsp lard or ghee + 2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2/3 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp gluten free Worstershire sauce
1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
1 large garlic clove, diced
1/2 cup white wine or Verjuice
20-30 ml dry sherry (port can also be used)
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 fresh rosemary sprig (or 1 tsp dried rosemary)
1 star anise
1 litre good quality beef stock
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery sticks, peeled and sliced
5-6 fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 tbsp tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
2 tbsp heavy, thick cream OR 1 tbsp of butter
1. Heat lard and olive oil in a heavy casserole pot and cook onion until softened, add salt, chili and pepper.
2. Add beef and cook until colour changes to grey, about 5 minutes.
3. Add white wine or Verjuice, Worstershire sauce, dried mushrooms, garlic, sherry, stock, thyme, rosemary, fennel seeds, star anise and nutmeg. Pour in the stock, stir and bring to boil.
4. Cook with a lid on, on low heat, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
5. Add carrots, celery, sweet potato, fresh mushrooms and cook with the lid on for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, this will start the evaporation and thickening process.
7. Then, add a few tablespoons of the stew liquid to a cup with tapioca flour and let it dissolve.
8. Add the dissolved tapioca to the beef and stir, it will start to thicken.
9. Finallly add butter or cream, stir through and cook for a further 5-10 minutes with no lid on to finish the thickening process.