2 Tablespoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 lb ground beef
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
2 Tablespoons raisins
2 Tablespoons green pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch of ground cloves
1. In a small bowl, mix baking soda and cream of tartar in water (creating the slurry).
2. Meanwhile, place meat and all other flavorings in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the slurry to the meat.
4. For a smoother texture, use a food processor to blend the ingredients.
5. For more traditional texture (method I used), mix the meat by hand.
6. Roll about 1 Tablespoon of meat into 1 inch ball or use a scoop (like a melon-baller).
7. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, covered with parchment paper.
8. Chill for 10 minutes in the fridge.
9. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
10. Remove baking sheet from fridge and bake meatballs for 20-25 minutes until browned and sizzling.