1.5 kg beef short ribs cut into 5-6 pieces (ask your butcher)
5 lemongrass stalks
Medium knob of fresh ginger, sliced (8-9 slices)
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 medium brown onion, sliced
Peel of medium orange
Juice of 1 large orange
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp Tamari sauce (or Coconut Aminos)
Generous pinch of sea salt
Generous pinch of chilli flakes
Generous pinch of black pepper
1/2 tsp of Chinese five spice powder
1 1/2 cup of water
Foil and large oven tray
To serve with
1/2 lime juice to drizzle at the end
1 head of broccoli, broken into florets and steamed or boiled
Other Asian greens or cauliflower rice
Fresh coriander for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200 Â°C/390 Â°F.
2. Place the ribs in a large deep oven try and scatter lemongrass, orange peel, garlic, ginger and onion around.
3. Squeeze orange and lime juice over the ribs and the rest of ingredients. 4. Combine fish sauce, sesame oil and Tamari sauce and pour over ribs. Then sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, chilli and Chinese five spice powder. Then pour the water over everything.
5. Cover the tray tightly with foil and place in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 Â°C.
6. Remove the tray and gently fold the foil to turn the ribs over. Cover with foil again and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes at 200Â°C.
7. Then reduce oven to 170 Â°C/335 Â°F and cook for 2 hours, turning the ribs over every 30 minutes.
8. On the last turn of the ribs, cut the meat off the bone where it starts coming away (it will).
9. Finally, turn the heat back up to 190-200Â°C, remove the foil and cook the ribs exposed for a further 30 minutes, turning them over high way through.
10. Finally steam or boil some Asian greens and broccoli and serve with the beef drizzled with extra lime juice.